Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why Do We Want What We Can't Have?

                   Ever heard the expression "The grass is always greener on the other side"? Well, it's true. We always want what we can't have. Example 1: Looking through clothes online, full cart, uses just the amount of gift card money I have. But, hey, why not look around again for more stuff? I find a really cute shirt, of course. If swap it with the shirt I already have in my cart, I would be $10 short. Now I don't really want the first shirt, do I? Example 2: Dating someone awesome, dum dee dum, life is great. Meet new guy, he's awesome. But he's also taken. Now I don't want the first guy as much, do I? Example 3: Buy a new cellphone, and love it, wait about 3 months, new version comes out. Front facing camera, holographs, whatever it has, it's better than yours. You have to wait 9 more months for your new phone. Do you still want your phone, do you really?
                You see? This is what I mean. We always want something better than what we have, even if that something better is completely out of reach. I for one, learn to deal with people who have better things than me. There are two types of envy:
- Malicious Envy: "Her shoes are adorable! I hope her shoes get wet and ruined."
- Benign Envy:  "Her shoes are adorable! I want shoes like that."
I don't know. I find my envy to be more malicious, if you had cute shoes, I'd be kinda upset that you had them instead of someone like me. While on the topic about things that make me horrible, I learned a new word that perfectly describes how I feel about most things: schadenfreude. Schadenfreude means happiness at the misfortune of others. Like watching someone fall on their bum while ice skating. Schadenfreude is basically feeling glad that you're not the person suffering through such a horrible thing. You know what? I've gotten WAY to deep into this topic. Goodnight everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment